Deutsche Lufthansa AG, generally known as Lufthansa, is the largest German airline and is the second-largest passenger airline in Europe when combined with its subsidiaries. Lufthansa is accredited as a 5-star airline for its airport consistency and onboard product and staff support. Company rating includes seats, services, food & beverages, IFE, cleanliness, and so on, and cabin and ground staff service rating. As of July 2020, Lufthansa serves 206 international destinations in 78 countries as well as 19 domestic destinations. Providing quality customer services, Lufthansa has become one of the most renowned airlines worldwide. You can book your flight both online & offline and can also cancel your flight booking with Lufthansa’s cancellation policy.
Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Policy
Often due to unexpected changes in your planned flight, you might need to cancel it. Nevertheless, if you don’t know how to do it or you’re not acquainted with the cancellation procedure, canceling your air ticket can be a challenging task for you. But, Lufthansa Cancellation Policy is not so hard to understand. Hopefully, at the end of this article, you will learn how to cancel your Lufthansa Ticket and anything regarding this.
Normally, we prefer to go for the non-refundable ones when purchasing air tickets because they are fairly pocket-friendly compared to their refundable counterparts. The luring idea of saving more money plays the role behind this wrong choice. That is to say, if something comes up and you are forced to cancel your ticket then you won’t get any refund with your booking of non-refundable tickets. That will cause you to lose the money of the ticket fair as well as the money you wished to save. To add more to that, Lufthansa Cancellation Policy lets you process cancellation and rebooking procedures even in this pandemic situation of the Corona outbreak.
If you have enough knowledge and information about the Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Policy, you can be saved from the trouble and be confident about your future steps. The Lufthansa Cancellation Policy has some points to it. We will share all the detailed information in the next paragraphs. Stick with us.
- Lufthansa Airlines provides the freedom to cancel tickets up to 24 hours before the start of the journey.
- You can demand a full refund in case of the flight being delayed or canceled by Lufthansa authority.
- According to the cancellation policy, you can cancel your ticket within 24 hours of booking without any cancellation fee.
- The amount of the ticket refund depends on the type of purchased ticket.
- You can get a refund even from the cancellation of a non refundable booking paying quite an amount.
- Lufthansa Cancellation Policy offers the ability to cancel flights online for both the flights booked via the Lufthansa office and for the ones booked online through the Lufthansa Airlines website.
Lufthansa Airline Cancellation Fee
There may or may not be any cancellation fee depending on the cancellation time. For instance, Lufthansa Airline Cancellation Policy states that no cancellation fee will be charged from you if you make the cancellation on the same day of booking. There is also a variety of Lufthansa cancellation fees based on the ticket type. We are pointing out the major information here.
- There is no cancellation fee within 24 hours of ticket booking. This range of 24 hours is known as the risk period.
- You will have to pay 39 dollars as the cancellation fee after the risk period of 24 hours if you do not take any action within the stipulated period of 48 hours after cancellation.
- However, if you booked your flight using an award ticket, you will have to pay 50 dollars as the cancellation fee.
So, the suggestion will be to apply for cancellation as soon as you get sure about the cancellation. It will save you some money from the Lufthansa airline cancellation fee which may be charged if you process the cancellation late.
Lufthansa 24 Hour Cancellation
The Lufthansa airline has set some cancelation fees depending on the type of passenger tickets and routes. However, Lufthansa 24 Hour Cancellation offers you a great opportunity to prevent the loss of your ticket money while you are going to cancel the ticket booking within 24 hours of purchasing the ticket. But you have to make sure that the scheduled flight departure that you are canceling is after 7 days. Otherwise, you will be charged accordingly. We would gladly inform you that for any special travel needs or future flight plans, you can contact the Lufthansa Service Center.
So, we will suggest you to be fast about the cancellation process. As soon as you get sure that you are not going to make the flight, go to the website and follow the steps to process the cancellation. If the time of cancellation is within the first 24 hours of booking, you will get a full refund without having spent even a single penny as per the offer of Lufthansa 24 hour cancellation. But if it exceeds the risk period of 24 hours, you will get charged accordingly which we mentioned throughout the article. Moreover, you can not even request a cancellation in the final 24 hours of your scheduled booking. That should also be kept in mind before it gets too late.
Lufthansa Flight Ticket Cancellation Policy
As we mentioned earlier, you can cancel your purchased ticket with or without any charge depending on some variables. You have the opportunity to cancel your tickets online. You can also contact the customer service number for better assistance without any extra cost. We already mentioned the Lufthansa Flight Ticket Cancellation Policy. We will share here the steps of the cancellation procedure.
How to cancel my Lufthansa ticket
These are the steps you will have to follow to cancel your tickets online-
- Open your mobile or pc browser. We would recommend pc for a better experience.
- Go to the website of Lufthansa Airlines. Here is the link- www.lufthansa.com
- Click on My Bookings.
- Log into your account. You will only have to provide the surname and the booking number.
- After logging in, click on the cancellation button to cancel your ticket.
- Lufthansa Airlines will send you an automatic confirmation mail.
- After you confirm the cancellation, the flight booking will get canceled. Depending on the terms, the amount of refund that applies will soon be transferred to your bank account or credited to your credit card.
Lufthansa Ticket Cancellation Refund Policy
After you have canceled the ticket for the flight, you may be eligible for a refund in certain cases. The refund amount also varies depending on the time of cancellation and the duration of the flight. We pointed out the summary of the Lufthansa Ticket Cancellation Refund Policy below.
- If you fail to board the plane due to some or any reasons, there will be no refund applicable.
- After you cancel the booked ticket, there will be no refund if the refund request is processed within the last 24 hours of the scheduled departure.
- If the flight has been canceled by Lufthansa, you will get a full refund without any additional cost, even in the final 24 hours of the scheduled departure.
- In case of cancellation by Lufthansa, there will be an automatic confirmation email. After confirming, the refund will be transferred to your bank account or will be credited to your credit card.
How to get your ticket refunded online
Now, after we’ve learned about the Lufthansa ticket cancellation refund policy, let’s learn about the procedure of getting refunded. Follow the procedure step by step.
- Step 1: Open your browser, in either of the two of mobile or pc. But, pc browser is recommended to have a better experience.
- Step 2: Go to the website of Lufthansa Airlines. You will find the Lufthansa ticket cancellation refund policy there, too.
- Step 3: Click on My Bookings. In my bookings, you will find the booking summary.
- Step 4: The refund process begins once you click on the cancellation button.
- Step 5: Most of the refund cases are dealt with and paid within 2 to 3 days.
- Step 6: However, the refund processing can be delayed in some cases for which online calculation cannot be processed automatically. In those cases, the calculations are made manually along with the final statement of the bank.
Lufthansa Cancel Non Refundable Ticket
As the words ‘non refundable’ seems, you can not get a refund for the cancellation of a non refundable ticket from any airline. But, well, Lufthansa does not stand in that position anymore. Like a very few other airline services, Lufthansa offers to refund you a portion of your canceled non refundable ticket.
That is to say, Lufthansa cancels non refundable ticket as if you have had booked a non refundable Lufthansa Airlines ticket, you will have to pay approximately 200 dollars for domestic non refundable tickets to get a refund. And for international non refundable tickets, you will have to pay fees ranging from 200 dollars to 500 dollars (depending on the duration of the trip). You will then receive the rest of your ticket fare, excluding the charge, that too in the form of an e-credit which you can use only on a future Lufthansa trip. If you are a regular customer for Lufthansa airlines, that should not be any problem for you. Still, worth to mention, spending at least 200 dollars for almost nothing looks quite awful.
I assume, as well as you may acknowledge it for yourself, buying a non refundable ticket at the very first point was the actual wrong decision. So, the suggestion would be to buy the refundable ticket every time as Lufthansa cancel non refundable ticket, whether or not you need to cancel the booking of the flight afterward. As you have both the options- refundable and non refundable tickets, you should go with the refundable one.
Lufthansa Ticket Cancellation Policy- Final Thought
Whoever you are, wherever you are, there is always an option for something to come up suddenly without any notice before your scheduled flight time. An unexpected work schedule, an accident, or a sudden change of plan, all these can happen to anyone, anytime. It forces you to choose between canceling your scheduled booking and doing nothing at all- leaving your booked seat vacant and repenting for all the money you spent on the ticket. So the final thought about Lufthansa ticket cancellation policy is Lufthansa Airlines understands that emergency situation. Hence they offer you to cancel your booking anytime from the time of booking until the last 24 hours of the scheduled flight. However, you will or will not still be charged with Lufthansa cancellation fees. But, all these won’t matter if you have purchased a non refundable ticket unless you are ready to pay a large amount to get a refund. About refund, you can get a refund of different percentages for the cancellation until the last 24 hours of the scheduled flight. We have included all the information you need to know about cancellation, refund, fees, and policy of Lufthansa Airlines. Hopefully, it will help you take better decisions in your future ticket purchase as well as will let you follow the steps to the cancellation and refund procedures. Feel free to get in touch with us if you have any further queries.
FAQs Related To Lufthansa Cancellation Policy
If you have booked a flight with Lufthansa flights but are not able to travel for some emergency or other causes, you can cancel the ticket anytime, sometimes with cancellation charges and sometimes without.
If you have made the booking via a service center but are willing to apply for the cancellation or refund process online via the website, you can do so. You will have to follow the same steps for that.
As per Lufthansa ticket cancellation refund policy, you will have to cancel your booking first. After the cancellation is confirmed, you can apply for a refund online up to 24 hours before the scheduled departure. You will find the refund deadlines in the fare conditions of the ticket you purchased.
No, you don’t need an ‘account’ to do so. You will just have to enter your surname and booking number.
As per the Lufthansa ticket cancellation refund policy, you will get the refund in the same currency you paid for the booking. However, if the currency is other than the euro, it will take a few days to process the refund in that case.
If you paid in cash for the ticket, the refund will still be processed online and in that case, Lufthansa contacts the customer for the details of the bank account in which the refundable amount can be transferred or credited.
These are the Lufthansa airline cancellation fees:
* You will be charged $39 for regular tickets.
* For award tickets, you will have to pay $50 as cancellation fees.
You may not find the ‘cancellation’ button in your booking sometimes. Here is the reason. If the passenger does not find the cancellation button, it is more likely that the refund of the ticket has already been processed.
As per Lufthansa cancellation policy, such charges cannot be refunded online for now. In such cases, we request you to contact the Lufthansa Service Center.
Hopefully, you won’t face any problem following the steps and will find the Lufthansa flight ticket cancellation policy & Lufthansa ticket cancellation refund policy easy to understand. But again, if you face any problem at all, do not hesitate to contact the customer service number. You will find the contact details at Lufthansa Service Center on the homepage of the website.