Japan Airlines has been in operation for decades serving as Japan’s flag carrier. This airline provides its services to over 100 destinations throughout the world. Booking tickets with Japan Airlines is easy and convenient. However, sometimes due to unforeseen situations you might have already booked a flight and now you want to cancel because of changed plans and you can no longer travel. When that happens, you’ll need to follow all of the rules and regulations specified in the Japan Airlines Cancellation policy. If you’re not familiar with the policy, you can contact the airline’s customer support team for assistance.
Important Rules as Specified in the Japan Airlines Cancellation Policy 24 Hours
- If you, as the passenger, happen to cancel your ticket on the departure day, then you’ll pay a cancellation fee as indicated in airline’s cancellation policy
- The passenger flying on a Basic Fare Ticket, you’re not eligible for ticket cancellation facility
- As stated in the Japan Airlines cancellation policy, you won’t be able to initiate any refund if the date of cancellation is after the date of departure.
- The passenger holding a non-refundable ticket won’t receive a refund after the end of the risk-free window
- The passenger with a refundable ticket requires paying a cancellation fee to secure a refund as per the fare types.
- The passenger is going to receive a full refund if he or she successfully cancels their ticket before the end of the 24 Hours window.
- Japan Airlines doesn’t charge a cancellation fee if the scheduled flight is delayed for over 4 hours as per the Japan Airlines cancellation policy.
- The airline is going to charge cancellation if the passenger cancels their ticket within two days before departure even if the ticket is canceled within 24 hours after booking as per the Japan Airlines 24 Hour cancellation.
- When a ticket is canceled as a result of the death of the passenger, then the airline won’t charge a cancellation fee.
Japan Airlines Cancellation 24 Hours
- As per this policy, you, as the passenger will get a full ticket refund if you successfully cancel your ticket with the date of the reservation.
- As per the Japan Airlines cancellation 24 hours policy, you’ll get a full refund even if you purchased a Basic Economy Ticket.
- Japan Airlines cancellation 24 hours policy enables you to make any possible changes to your ticket without paying anything.
- To get a full refund, you must cancel your ticket within 24 hours after booking and the date of departure has to be a week from the date of the cancellation.
- If you hold a refundable ticket, you’ll require paying a Japan Airlines cancellation fee after the end of the risk-free duration.
- No refund can be initiated to you, as the passenger, if you have a non-refundable ticket and the cancellation of the ticket happens 24 hours after the booking.
Japan Airlines Cancellation Charges
Japan Airlines Cancellation Charges – Non-refundable Ticket
Japan Airlines won’t charge you a cancellation fee if you cancel your ticket within 24 hours of reservation as per the Japan Airlines 24 hour cancellation. After the end of the risk-free period, the airline is going to only issue the Government tax part as a refund while the rest of the amount will be charged as the airline’s ticket cancellation fee.
Keep in mind that there’s no refund that will be initiated if you cancel your ticket on the departure day. If you cancel your ticket on time, you may get the refund in full as per the Japan Airlines cancellation charges.
Japan Airlines Cancellation Charges – Refundable Ticket
You may be eligible for a full refund if you, as the passenger cancel your ticket for the following reasons:
- Your passport got stolen
- You have health issues
- Government or military orders
- Death of passenger
24 hours after booking, your refund amount will be calculated after the deduction of the Japan Airlines cancellation charges. Also, the airline won’t charge you a cancellation charge if the airline cancels the flight.
If you want a full refund, you require canceling your ticket within 24 hours of reservation and your flight departure has to be at least 7 days away from the date of the reservation. Passengers require paying additional charges as a service charge if they want to cancel tickets through the offline portal.
More about Japan Air Flight Cancellation Fee
As a passenger of Japan Airlines, you need to cancel your ticket within the specified time if you want to receive a full ticket refund. When you cancel your ticket after the time of the departure, the whole ticket airfare will be treated as a no-show fee.
To get a refund when you have a refundable ticket, you’ll require paying the Japan Airlines cancellation fee according to the airline’s ticket cancellation policy. If you have the Business Restricted airfare ticket, you have to pay USD 100 to USD 400 as the ticket cancellation charges.
As per the cancellation policy, you, as the passenger holding an Economy Restricted Fare ticket, Business Promotion tickets, and Economy Flexible Fare ticket, you’ll not be eligible to claim a refund. The airlines will charge you the entire ticket fare as per the Japan Airlines ticket cancellation charges.
Japan Airlines won’t charge you any cancellation fee if you have a Flexible Fare ticket. Nevertheless, the airline is going to ask for service charges if you have chosen an offline portable to have your ticket canceled.
Japan Airlines Ticket Refund Policy
- Japan Airlines won’t provide you with a refund if you have either an award or business promotional type of ticket.
- You won’t receive a refund once the departure time has ended
- Passenger is entitled to full refund till 24 hours after booking
- The amount to be refunded is initiated following the deduction of the cancellation fee as stated in the Japan Airlines Refund Policy.
- If the airline cancels a flight due to technical errors or other issues from its side, passengers will get a full refund.
- When a flight is delayed for over 4 hours, Japan Airlines won’t charge the passenger any cancellation fee.
Japan Airlines happens to be one of the few airlines that let their passengers cancel tickets after the flight departure. However, to secure a refund, it’s important that you pay cancellation charges according to the Japan Airlines Cancellation Policy and Refund Policy.
When you cancel the ticket before flight departure
To secure a refund, you’ll need to pay a cancellation fee as per the Japan Airlines Cancellation Policy. Japan Airlines charges passengers a cancellation fee of ¥440 if you cancel your ticket hours or some times before departure. The amount to be refunded will be calculated after the deduction of the cancellation fee. The balance is going to be processed in not more than 20 business days.
When you cancel your ticket after the flight departure
Japan Airlines is going to charge you a cancellation fee of ¥440. You’ll also be charged one-fifth of your ticket fair on top of that. Therefore, to claim a refund, you have to always remember to cancel your ticket before the departure of the flight.
- If you cancel your ticket within 24 hours of booking, you get a full refund
- If you cancel your ticket after 24 hours of booking until the flight departure, you’ll get total ticket fare minus ¥440
- If you cancel your ticket after departure, you’ll pay a Japan Airlines cancellation fee of ¥440 plus 20% of your ticket fare.
How can you avoid cancellation fees?
- To avoid cancellation fees, ensure you cancel your ticket within the stated time of 24 hours of booking
- Ensure that the date of the departure is a week away from the date of the booking.
Please note that if the airlines cancel the flight you’ll probably receive a full refund. However, when Japan Airlines cancels the flight because of the worst weather condition or other technical issues, then the value of the refund will directly depend on the airline’s policy.
How to cancel your ticket Online with Japan Airlines
To cancel your ticket online, you’ll require following the below steps:
- Go to the Japan Airlines official website
- Sign in to your account using your user name and password
- To have your ticket canceled, navigate to “Manage my trip” section, enter the reservation code and the last name of the passenger
- Choose the “tickets” and hit on the “cancel” tab
- Select the cancellation reasons and briefly read the T&C of refund
- Submit the request of the refund and ensure the refund amount displayed matches your calculation
When you submit the refund request application, Japan Airlines is going to send you a confirmation mail on the email ID and mobile number. Passengers will receive the refund amount according to the Japan Airlines Cancellation Policy and the refund is going to be processed within 3 weeks from the date of the request.
How can you cancel your ticket offline?
To cancel a Japan Airlines ticket on the offline portal, you’ll need to get in touch with the customer support team at any time of the day (24/7). Regardless of the region, you’re in, the team is accessible in multiple languages, including English and Spanish. To get in touch with the team, you’ll dial the toll-free number available on the website and after the call on the number you’ll then carefully follow the following steps:
- Select your preferred language
- Provide the agent with your E-ticket number
- Request the agent to choose the name of customer/passenger to whom you want to cancel
- Select the reason for ticket cancellation and sent your request
- Ask the airline’s agent regarding the amount of your refund. In case you have any problems related to the value of the refund, then ask the question and get a possible answer from the genuine travel agent.
- Step six: The agent is going to send you an email to confirm your registered email ID and your phone number.
Frequently Asked Questions Related To Japan Airlines
Online: The ticket cancellation airfare rules for Japan Airlines are described on the confirmation page, review page, or on the refund policy section.
Offline: To know the ticket cancellation airfare rules of Japan Airlines, the passenger needs to contact the global toll-free number available on the airline’s official website. The passenger will communicate with a travel agent who will guide them with all the rules regarding the cancellation.
As per the Japan Airlines Refund policy, a passenger will receive the below-stated benefits in case of flight delay for over 5 hours:
* Free accommodation
* Two calls and two fax
* Free beverages
* Travel voucher
* Full Refund
Yes. A non-refundable ticket also comes under the Japan Airlines Cancellation Policy 24 Hour. As per the policy, a passenger won’t be charged any cancellation fee if they have non-refundable tickets. The passenger will be granted a full refund within 3 business weeks.
If your flight is canceled on the day of departure, then you’ll be lucky as you’ll receive a full refund. However, to secure a full refund, you’ll need to present the following:
* Standard ticket or e-ticket
* A confirmation email with a reason for the cancellation. The email has to be sent by the airline.
* Boarding pass if you have one
* Visa paper and Passport
If you’re canceling your flight on the day of booking though the date of booking and date of departure is the same, the Japan Airlines won’t take into consideration your booking as per the Japan Airlines cancellation policy 24 hours. You have to pay a cancellation charge according to the policy to secure part of the ticket amount as a refund.
The process of cancellation is the same as that of standard cancellation. But, you’ll require paying one-fifth of your total ticket fare minus the cancellation fees. If you’re canceling offline, you have to pay service charges on top of that.
So, if you’re looking to get a refund then you must cancel your ticket within the right stipulated time. When you cancel a non-refundable ticket following the flight departure, then you’ll not receive any refund. Your total ticket airfare is going to be forfeited by Japan Airlines as per the cancellation fees.
Things come up and sometimes you won’t have a choice other than canceling a flight due to changed plans or postponed trips. It doesn’t feel good when you have to cancel your ticket but fail to get a refund. However, that’s possible if you’re not familiar with the Japan Airlines Cancellation Policy. This article was meant to enlighten you on everything you need to know about flight or ticket cancellation and refund policy of this reputable airline.
Additionally, the above FAQ section will help you get some answers to some of the frequently asked questions. The section will also help you read this article at a glance and get the crucial details you need to know in case you need to cancel your flight with the airline. If you have any other questions regarding the Japan Airlines cancellation charges or others, feel free to get in touch with the Japan Airlines customer care team.